Micro$oft loses MSOOXML vote in the U.S.

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 14:59:09 UTC 2007

On 8/12/07, Sanjay Sodhi <sanjay.sodhi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Fun times...it'll take a little bit more than technical change for Microsoft
> to lose it's market dominance, though. It seems to me that the bulk of MS
> Office users couldn't care less about Open Standards. This won't be much of
> a thorn in Microsoft's side, I don't think...
>
> In other news, and with all due respect to you, Bob, does anybody else find
> the substitution of "$" for "S" in "MS" somewhat silly?

Personally I do find it a little bit silly but it doesn't mean that it
bothers me.  I guess it makes a point that people should already know
just by looking at the word Microsoft spelled correctly.  I vaguely
remember a discussion on a Ubuntu mailing list a long time ago arguing
that using this alternative spelling was a bit against the Ubuntu Code
of Conduct, but I personally I think that's wandering way too far into
political correctness.

And as another proof that everything can be found on Wikipedia
nowadays, they do have a little bit on this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_political_spelling

"Micro$oft, M$, Micro$haft (Microsoft): used to emphasize the
allegation that Microsoft has business practices that focus on making
money rather than producing good products. Microsoft was convicted
under United States anti-trust law of taking unfair advantage of its
monopoly position. Also criticized for taking advantage of loyal
customers and upgrading products annually for an expensive price, thus
"shafting" the people who brought last year's products[26] See also:
Criticism of Microsoft."

--
Daniel Robitaille