Micro$oft loses MSOOXML vote in the U.S.

Sanjay Sodhi sanjay.sodhi at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 14:25:09 UTC 2007

Fun times...it'll take a little bit more than technical change for Microsoft
to lose it's market dominance, though. It seems to me that the bulk of MS
Office users couldn't care less about Open Standards. This won't be much of
a thorn in Microsoft's side, I don't think...

In other news, and with all due respect to you, Bob, does anybody else find
the substitution of "$" for "S" in "MS" somewhat silly?

On 11/08/07, Bob Chandler <bob at ve3sre.com> wrote:

> Well one more little victory this week for the forces of freedom and
> open standards.
>
> Microsoft lost a key vote 8 in favour to 7 against in the U.S. at the
> International Committee for Information Technology Standards.  They
> needed nine votes in favour for MSOOXML to go forward.
>
> Here's the link:
>

> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,135863-c,unresolvedtechstandards/article.html
>
> Last year ODF (OASIS Open Document Format...the default in Open Office)
> was accepted as an ISO standard for electronic documents.    Microsoft
> has since been engaged in heavy-handed lobbying around the world trying
> to get national standards organizations to submit MSOOXML to the ISO for
> approval.   MSOOXML is only supported in MS Office 2007 and nowhere
> else!  And there's nothing "open" about it at all. ODF can be used by
> anyone...proprietary or free software.  Microsoft simply chooses not to
> use it...why would they choose it?  It would hurt their monopoly.
>
> If M$ is successful there will be two "standards" for electronic
> documents...inertia being what it is, it means the M$ Office monopoly
> will continue for decades.
>
> In Canada, the organization looking at MS00XML is the "Standards Council
> of Canada".   The deadline for commenting on their website was July 5,
> 2007 but it seems that it is still possible to make comments on the
> website...and they are overwhelmingly against Canada adopting MSOOXML!
>
> Here's the link:
>

> https://forums.scc.ca/forums/scc/dispatch.cgi/public/docProfile/100009/d20070528121355/No/t100009.htm
>
> or  http://tinyurl.com/3xmgk9
>
> Cheers