OH DEAR

Maurice Murphy m1625 at rogers.com
Sun Apr 29 21:00:34 UTC 2007

Hi Bruno,

Thanks for your valuable advice.  I don't think my poor French is the
problem, but thanks anyway for the offer of help in that regard.

I think I mentioned that I cannot get EasyCam2 to run.  It comes up with
a 'Make Install'  error every time I click on the 'Starting
Installation' button.

I am beginning to suspect my problems relate to the two TV adapters I
have installed on this machine.  One is the original Hauppauge 150 PVR
that came with the box and is virtually impossible to remove.  The
second, and the one I use, is an old WinTV2000 analog adapter.  I
believe that these two characters are fighting the webcam installation
process for access to /dev/video0.  Could this be?  And if so, what
could I do to have the webcam use another video location?  I have no
clue as to how to do this.  Maybe someone on line would have knowledge
as to how to do this.

Thanks again, Bruno, for the link to the site.  If I can solve the video
access problem, I'm sure it will be most helpful.

Maurice

Bruno Lambert wrote:
> Hello there
>
> I installed Ubuntu 7.04 yesterday, it's great!
>
> For your webcam, I have one of those Logitech Quickcam Messenger too,
> I've always used this HOWTO to do it:
> http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/quickcam?s=webcam
> sorry it's in french, but I guess you can make your way with this. If
> you have any question, I can help you out with translation of some
> part of it. I know for sure it works with Edgy, didn't try it yet for
> Fiesty..
>

> ---
> Bruno Lambert
>

> 2007/4/27, Maurice Murphy <m1625 at rogers.com <mailto:m1625 at rogers.com>>:
>
>     Well, I gave Feisty a real good try!  Unfortunately, it didn't like my
>     HP removable drive in read/write mode.  Every time I did a reboot, it
>     changed the address of this drive from /dev/sdb5 to /dev/sdc5 and
>     vice
>     versa requiring me to constantly change fstab.  As there seemed to be
>     little other difference for me between Edgy and Feisty, I reinstalled
>     the latter.
>     Everything is working fine again, except I've had no success in
>     installing my Logitech Quickcam Messenger webcam either with Feisty or
>     Edgy.  I've tried about everything I can find, but to no avail.  If
>     anyone has a brilliant idea for success on this front, it would be
>     most
>     appreciated.  Boy that would make me truly happy!  :-)  :-)  :-)
>     --
>     I use Ubuntu 6.10...
>     ubuntu - linux for human beings <http://www.ubuntu.com>
>
>     --