Use of Linux in Canadian universities

Timothy Webster tdwebste2 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 8 03:58:03 UTC 2006

You don't have to look very far to see the reason some Universities change to
Microsoft.

 Please read this link
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-949945.html

It is not just about what is best for the students. It is about creating future customers.

Cheers
Tim

Don Kelly <karfai at gmail.com> wrote: On 9/7/06, Timothy Webster  wrote:
> As a Canadian I sure hope Universities in Canada don't drop Unix and switch
> to Windows.

Unfortunately, many already have.  My alma mater (St. Francis Xavier,
http://www.stfx.ca), converted most student facing systems to
Microsoft Windows NT starting as early as 1997.  The in-house designed
student information system was replaced soon after.  Today, I'd be
surprised if any of the infrastructure is built on anything other than
Microsoft Windows *.  There may be a few labs or groups who run a
*NIX, but I doubt they receive any support from the university.

Don/

--
Don Kelly
karfai [AT] gmail.com