To provide a non-US Ubuntu?

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Mon Sep 4 14:48:16 UTC 2006

Rob Bowers wrote:
> Or something will react. Maybe Canada's patent policies will be made
> less ambiguous. The world would take note. In this case, it will have
> been a successful protest.

   Canada's patent policies are even more confusing than the USA.  In
the case of the USA it was the courts that expanded patent policy to
include software patents, re(or mis)interpreting what legislators were
intending with their patent act.   In Canada it was the patent office
itself, trying to re-interpret the law and court precedent in such a way
to serve their special interests (more patents being filed means more
money for them).   Patent lawyers, patent courts and patent offices are
all special interests in this area of policy, each financially and
otherwise benefiting from confusion in patent policy.

   You can read some of this via http://www.flora.ca/patent2003/

   The focus right now of policy work is on copyright policy given we
expect a bill to be tabled in the new parliament (IE: this fall).  The
government has been busy during the summer working on this, so we will
see whether the Conservative bill is better or (more likely) worse than
the Liberal's Bill C-60.

   If you haven't signed our 2 petitions and sent a letter to your MP,
please do so right now:  http://www.digital-copyright.ca/node/2360

   If you have money to support (and direct) some people working on this
on your behalf, please become a member of CLUE: The Canadian Association
for Open Source  http://www.cluecan.ca/why-join

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/

   manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
   portable media player from my cold dead hands!"