how to get libdvdcss and w32codecs through apt

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Nov 17 19:52:34 UTC 2006

Andrew Hunter wrote:
>> Then again, I was under the impression that packages from even the
>> universe and multiverse sections of the "official" repos were also
>> unsupported.
>>

> Only unsupported for commercial support from Canonical.

Sorry, I can't parse this. Please explain.

While you're at it, maybe then you can help me understand why
un-intuitive names like "multiverse" are used intead of clear language
like "supported", "unsupported", or even codes.

(I mean, if the "universe" is well-known to mean "everything", how can
you name something to mean more than that? Clearly the word "universe"
was badly chosen -- and then the error was compounded by creating the
term "multiverse".)

Sometimes, names that sound incredibly clever to developers come across
as (at best) silly or (at worst) elitist to newcomers who just want to
understand what's going on. The evolution from "clever" to "useful" is a
maturing process, which while intangible is probably the area in which
Ubuntu falls the most behind other mainstream distros. Changing "Edgy"
to "6.10" is just the tip of the iceberg.

(I've already had one client refuse to use 6.10, even after release and
despite my recommendation, because "Edgy" implies "bleeding edge" and
rough. They're staying with Dapper^H^H^H^H^H^H6.04 instead.)

- Evan