Newbie question

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 10 18:51:10 UTC 2006

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 11:36:41AM -0500, David Harsch wrote:

<snip>

> The one thing that I can't figure out is if I can change the OS to allow
> single click of icons as opposed to doubling clicking the icon to select
> and open.
>
> Simple in Windows but I could not find it in Ubuntu.
>
> Is this possible?  I have gotten very use to single clicking in Windows.

Easy to make the change in the Nautilus file browser. Just hit

Edit->Preferences->Behaviour

and click on the radio button in front of "Single click to activate items".

However, this does not affect icon opening behaviour on the desktop.

All global settings for Gnome are available in gconf-editor. You get
there by hitting Alt-F2 and entering gconf-editor in the entry field.
Single mouse click behaviour is available under

desktop->peripherals->mouse

Having said that, I find on my Edgy system that there are some
inconsistencies with this in that some icons still require a
double-click to open despite setting gconf for single click.

> Next thing I want to tackle is connecting to printers and my Treo.
> That's for tonight.  Any hints would be helpful.

There is a wealth of info on the net. Try the following to start:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UserDocumentation

Jack Bowling