Linux does not like my computer

Myles Green rmg57 at telus.net
Sun May 21 16:45:10 UTC 2006

On Sun, 21 May 2006 19:01:30 +0300
"Rob Bowers" <ribowers at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you much. I will try your suggestions. I had not realised, for
> instance, that there was utility in running the memtest more than
> once. What precisely is that testing?

When you run memtest86 for an extended period of time you are more
likely to catch even the smallest of errors that may or may not show up
if you only let it make one complete pass. I found myself in a similar
situation some years ago and was pulling my hair out trying to figure
out what was wrong and after posting my problem to the users list at
linux-sxs.org someone (netllama) who now works for nVidia offered the
suggestion of an extended memtest86 test. It took almost 24 hours for
errors to start showing up but in the end changing the RAM fixed the
problem for me.

> Is it not formatting anew with each installation attempt? Is there a
> way of formatting independent of the linux installation CDs?

Sure, you can always boot up a LiveCD and either create a partition or
format one that's already created. I wouldn't bother though as the
Ubuntu installer will format your partiton for you during the install.

> I am a little reluctant to act on one suggestion: to try a smaller
> distribution. Given that I have tried 5 distributions unsuccessfully,
> and I am assured that my computer, though modest, should ordinarily
> be able to handle the minimal settings, on text installations, is
> there much hope in another distro? (downloading such big packages is
> a bit of a hassle -- though worth it if they work).

It would be a good idea to at least check the md5sum of your current
installation disk, it can be found on the Ubuntu server where you got
your ISO image. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you don't know how
to check the md5sum...

Regards, Myles
--
You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.