Questions -- or just irritations?

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at ubuntu.com
Sun Dec 17 03:49:37 UTC 2006

On 12/16/06, Brian Burger <blurdesign at gmail.com> wrote:

> I gather that Mandrivia is KDE-only; it sounds like
> the Kubuntu folks should borrow a few
> ideas from them. Until then, switching DEs to
> Gnome might well fix all these
> irritations...

Mandriva is not KDE-only.  You can easily switch to Gnome when login
into your session (if gnome is installed).  But from past experience
on my computer at work (up to this summer and Mandriva 2006),  using
Gnome instead of KDE was creating more problems and annoyances than
anything else in day to day usage.  It was obvious that the distro was
tested a lot more using KDE than Gnome by Mandriva people before the
releases.  At least it felt that way for me, as an end-user.

But now all is well:  I got Dapper at work this summer, and that
allowed me to finally use Gnome all day long for my work :)

--
Daniel Robitaille