Gearing up for the June launch of Dapper

Hodgins Family ehodgins at telusplanet.net
Mon Apr 3 12:07:45 UTC 2006

Hi Scott:

>    Can anyone post a generic letter about Dapper, something that can be
> edited in my own words.  Even though I have a decent aptitude in
> writing, I have never wrote an article before, or even a letter to the
> editor.

Ripped off from the Ubuntu home page:

Linux for Human Beings

"Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "humanity to others".
Ubuntu also means "I am what I am because of who we all are". The Ubuntu
Linux distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world.
Ubuntu is a complete Linux-based operating system, freely available with
both community and professional support. It is developed by a large
community and we invite you to participate too!
The Ubuntu community is built on the ideas enshrined in the Ubuntu
Philosophy: that software should be available free of charge, that
software tools should be usable by people in their local language and
despite any disabilities, and that people should have the freedom to
customise and alter their software in whatever way they see fit.
The team behind Ubuntu makes the following public commitment to its users:
       Ubuntu will always be free of charge, and there is no extra fee
for the "enterprise edition", we make our very best work available to
everyone on the same Free terms.
       Ubuntu comes with full commercial support from hundreds of
companies around the world. Ubuntu is released regularly and
predictably; a new release is made every six months. Each release is
supported with free security updates and fixes for at least 18 months.
       Ubuntu will include the very best in translations and
accessibility infrastructure that the Free Software community has to
offer, to make Ubuntu usable by as many people as possible. We
collaborate as widely as possible on bug fixing and code sharing.
     Ubuntu is entirely committed to the principles of free software
development; we encourage people to use free and open source software,
improve it and pass it on.

Announcing the release of Ubuntu 6.06. Get it from www.ubuntu.com

HTH

Rob