[ubuntu-marketing] Linux (and Ubuntu) advocacy in Canada and USA

Vincent Untz vincent at vuntz.net
Fri Nov 11 08:48:31 UTC 2005

Le mercredi 09 novembre 2005 à 21:43 -0500, MF a écrit :

> Apologies for cross-posting, but I think this is of interest to the
> Marketing Team too. This applies mostly to NorthAmerica.
>
> It's interesting another thread on FACIL's mailing list
> (www.facil.qc.ca) made me discover the MSDNAA program, an initiative
> to bring free MS licenses to students accross NorthAmerica - I see
> this model easily replicated around the world to make sure every
> single student and teacher has access to legal licenses of MS
> products. It started this August and now most all colleges and
> universities are in it.

This is also happening in France, but it started, well... 3 or 4 years
ago. We tried promoting alternatives, but we faced two problems:

  + the administration of the university where I was didn't care, since
it was good deal for them.

  + it was hard to convince student to try something else. This might be
easier now, though.

Speaking to the students might help, but convincing the administrations
of the universities is really what we should aim for. This is where the
decisions are taken and where a simple change might have a great impact.

This is my 0.02€, of course :-)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.