ubuntu-ca Digest, Vol 8, Issue 5

Holiday eholiday at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 09:21:40 UTC 2005

Not sure if this is getting to the list or not. I apologize if I've
double-posted.

I don't think we should be pushing Ubuntu until the multimedia problems are
worked out. If I have to dual boot play DVDs, why should I bother with Linux
at all.

I use Linux becausae I like tinkering with it, but there are times when I
just want to-say- watch a DVD, and for that I have to boot into windows. Or
get a Mac.

I have Ubuntu on three machines and have done the multimedia Ubuntu guide
steps and still I can not play DVDs. And I've been using Linux for years.

There's always something wrong. To watch a DVD, I have to go to the one
machine with a Windows partition. I hate doing it, but I bet that most
people would just rather stick with Windows.

That's what we're up against. Yes, Yes Yes I know there are problems, legal
problems, but people don't encounter those legal problems when they play
DVDs on their Windows or Mac machines. And we can explain all we want, we
can make all the very legitimate excuses about why it is so difficult, but
it doesn't change the fact. That playing a DVD on Ubuntu requires a
lifestyle change.

So we're going out there telling everyone what a great OS it is, and it
is,it truly is, but then they're going to pop in that DVD and our
credibility is going to disappear faster than the XP logo comes up .

The really sad thing is that the only thing that can fix it is the Supreme
Court, and they're not about to rule in favor of a bunch of geeks (who just
happen to actually own DVDs they're not allowed to play) over a consortium
of very determined billionaires.

What's it going to take?