ubuntu-ca Digest, Vol 8, Issue 5

Lino Martin Ramirez lino.m.ramirez at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 20:25:23 UTC 2005

On 11/7/05, Corey Burger <corey.burger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/6/05, Daniel Robitaille <robitaille at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > > Moreover, we have to make our politicians aware that switching to and
> > > promoting Open Source software is necessary to:
> > > * save in operating cost (so the government Canada do not have to pay
> > > huge amounts of $ in proprietary software)
> >
> > To my best knowledge  during the last federal election (or maybe it
> > was the one before the last one) only the the Green Party had
> > something to that effect in their electoral platform.
>
> I asked every single candidate at the last federal election, but none
> knew about it. The Green Party candidate thought it was a good idea.
>
> Corey

There are counted MP's and MLA's who know about Open Source Software.
This is why we have to start promoting the use of Open Source Software
to our policy makers. If we want Ubuntu (or any other Linux
distribution) to become popular, we need to install it in schools,
universities, government offices, etc. The only way, we can do that is
with the support of our policy makers.

Do any of you know about initiatives to market Ubuntu or any other
Linux distribution to our policy makers?  Do you have any ideas or
previous experience marketing Linux distributions to our policy
makers?

Cheers

Lino