Talking with Ubuntu-fr

Alyssa nylffn at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 19:57:31 UTC 2005

On 12/8/05, ubuntu-ca-request at lists.ubuntu.com
<ubuntu-ca-request at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> quick english translation:  I'm starting to believe that maybe a
> ubuntu-ca for the whole country and both official languages is
> probably too big, and maybe smaller groups, better defined from a
> geographical and linguistic point of view is probably the way to go
> for Canada. So that could mean a Ubuntu-Quebec, and an Ubuntu-BC or
> Victoria, Ubuntu-Toronto or Ontario, etc etc.  Similar to the
> situation in the US with the Ubuntu Detroit team, the one in Wash DC,
> the one (or 2?)  Texas team, etc.

As a (former) Saskatchewan resident, I'd like to speak up in favour of
not dividing based on BC and Ontario. =)  Maybe Ubuntu-CanadaWest
(Manitoba over) and Ubuntu-CanadaEast (Ontario over, sans/liasing with
Quebec)? Or West from SK to BC, Central from MB to ON, East for the
Maritimes?

Naming groups that are meant to include several provinces after one
city has always seemed rather silly, to me at least. And if you are
designing groups without including places we currently have no
(speaking) members from, when members join from those areas, groups
will have to be added, and then there will be lots of groups... which
kindof ruins the point of a national group.

I hope that makes some sense!

And while I'm at it, I'll introduce myself, since I don't think I've
posted before...  I go to school in Victoria and otherwise live in
Regina, SK. I've been using and loving Ubuntu full time since May, and
have also been lurking around the list since then. =)

Alyssa Knox