[Ubuntu-bugcontrol] Stop triaging bugs

Alberto Salvia Novella es20490446e at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 12:45:13 UTC 2014

El 26/03/14 09:54, Brendan Donegan escribió:
> IMO, a team should also be looking at Triaged bugs when selecting new
> tasks to work on, so if the bugs are genuinely Triaged and they have
> enough information to go to In Progress (when a developer wants to work
> on them) then I don't see the harm in general. I personally would tend
> to look at both New and Triaged bugs when looking to pick up bug fixing
> work on the projects I help maintain.
Just imitate the One Hundred Papercuts work-flow
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/One%20Hundred%20Papercuts/Work-flow>'s concepts
<https://launchpadlibrarian.net/163191350/Bug%20Stream%20Map.pdf> :P

  * In general: simple over correct, because correction is the child of
    simplicity. Simplicity makes problems to became obvious rapidly, and
    to be easy to change. So focus on this, because is what really matters.
  * Starting by deciding where to start (setting importance), so your
    work will attach what is more needed first. The 80% of return
    belongs to only the 20% of developed work, so start there.
  * Then with the latest step in the bug fixing process, so every piece
    of work is immediately poured in real improvement, instead of having
    unfinished work along the hole process.
  * Making information visually obvious to anyone, because visually is
    how information is processed more rapidly and in detail by the
    brain; and you'll want people helping you to be easy for them.
  * Measured, because processes tend to improve themselves when what's
    going on becomes obvious.
  * Parted, so its simple to accomplish one task; instead of having to
    pay attention to a bunch of things. Anything can be accomplished by
    dividing it into small goals.
  * It doesn't need much discussion, because the system is
    self-explanatory: serve yourself!
  * And adjusted to what is really required, not what you think it's
    required. The second can easily be a slant.

The result is generally something very small and minimalist that rarely
will be noticed as what is: a power tool. As a rule of thumbs, as the
tap when you open it for water, if it looks just too simple and easy to
accomplish to be real; probably is well designed.

Just notice, as result of working like that, we have at this time only
19 confirmed bugs with unknown priority for Trusty from the hundreds we
had only three days ago :D (look at the final clean-up
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBugControl/Final%20clean-up>)

Philosophical but already powerful.

Regards @_@