[Ubuntu-bugcontrol] Stop triaging bugs

C de-Avillez hggdh2 at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 26 15:36:34 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 3:54 AM, Brendan Donegan <
brendan.donegan at canonical.com> wrote:

> IMO, a team should also be looking at Triaged bugs when selecting new
> tasks to work on, so if the bugs are genuinely Triaged and they have
> enough information to go to In Progress (when a developer wants to work
> on them) then I don't see the harm in general. I personally would tend
> to look at both New and Triaged bugs when looking to pick up bug fixing
> work on the projects I help maintain.

It all depends. There is NO one-size-fits-all that will work. The security
team (as well as the kernel team, and others) have special workflows. One
problem we have in launchpad is that there is no concept of workflow, all
we have are bugs (as far as we are concerned). Workflow was hammered in
bugs, using what launchpad provides.

(Also, you have imposed yourself a limit -- "when looking (...) on the
projects I help maintain". You do not go and change bugs on projects you DO
NOT maintain. You actually may go in, but you will be more careful.)

But, back to the issue at hand. The majority of security bugs shown with
Alberto's search are *visibly* different from the "normal" bugs we deal
with. I expect triagers to be careful on what they do -- if a certain bug
looks different from the "common" (whatever it may mean) bug, STOP. Find
why it is different. Don't assume that it is all the same.

And, of course, we should document these special workflows, at least to
allow triagers to identify them.

..C..