reporting bugs that are not easily reproducible

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 12 23:50:37 UTC 2011

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011, Micah Gersten wrote:

> On 09/12/2011 01:32 PM, Scott Moser wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have been pointed at http://www.ubuntu.com/community/report-problem
> > by a user who had a legitimate issue with Ubuntu, but was under the
> > impression that because the issue was not easily reproducible they should
> > not report the bug.
> >
> > The URL above says specifically:
> >    File a bug report
> >    You should only file a bug report when:
> >     * You can repeat the problem
> >
> > I don't think that text is correct, and honestly was surprised that someone
> > would read it literally.  Because an issue is not trivially reproducible
> > does not mean that it should not be reported.  The statement above gives a
> > different impression.
> >
> > Can we get that text clarified?  Personally I'm interested in issues that
> > are not 100% reproducible.
> >

> >    Feel free to read the thread at
> > https://groups.google.com/group/ec2ubuntu/browse_frm/thread/57ff20c6370f7bb9
> > if you're interested in more information.
> >

> The problem is without a proper reproducer, it's hard to fix.  As seb128
> continuously points out, we have no shortage of bugs to fix.  While I
> believe that these issues could be beneficial to some, if they start as
> threads on a user list/answers.lp/askubuntu, someone else might be able
> to reproduce it consistently and then file a proper bug.

I completely disagree with this.
a.) we don't benefit from having less bugs, no one wins when someone
doesn't report an issue.
b.) While its fine for someone to raise issues on a
list/answers.lp/askubuntu, its much less likely that a developer is going
to see it.  If you open a bug on launchpad with the same text you're going
to post to an email list, and then say "Hey, I just opened this bug,
anyone else able to help?"  They we're better off all around.

Scott