reporting bugs that are not easily reproducible

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 12 19:01:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 02:32:50PM -0400, Scott Moser wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been pointed at http://www.ubuntu.com/community/report-problem
> by a user who had a legitimate issue with Ubuntu, but was under the
> impression that because the issue was not easily reproducible they should
> not report the bug.

I've never seen that page before.  We generally direct people to
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs which makes no mention
of reproducibility.

> The URL above says specifically:
>    File a bug report
>    You should only file a bug report when:
>     * You can repeat the problem
>
> I don't think that text is correct, and honestly was surprised that someone
> would read it literally.  Because an issue is not trivially reproducible
> does not mean that it should not be reported.  The statement above gives a
> different impression.
>
> Can we get that text clarified?  Personally I'm interested in issues that
> are not 100% reproducible.

Sure, I'm happy to remove that text from that page but I'm more curious
about where this person heard about that page.

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master