reporting bugs that are not easily reproducible

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 12 18:32:50 UTC 2011

Hi,
I have been pointed at http://www.ubuntu.com/community/report-problem
by a user who had a legitimate issue with Ubuntu, but was under the
impression that because the issue was not easily reproducible they should
not report the bug.

The URL above says specifically:
   File a bug report
   You should only file a bug report when:
    * You can repeat the problem

I don't think that text is correct, and honestly was surprised that someone
would read it literally.  Because an issue is not trivially reproducible
does not mean that it should not be reported.  The statement above gives a
different impression.

Can we get that text clarified?  Personally I'm interested in issues that
are not 100% reproducible.

   Feel free to read the thread at
https://groups.google.com/group/ec2ubuntu/browse_frm/thread/57ff20c6370f7bb9
if you're interested in more information.