Changing status to "New" after providing information

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 27 17:14:59 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:12:00AM +0100, Timothy Mayoh wrote:
> Brad Figg's script usually requests that the user changes the status to
> "Confirmed" for kernel bugs; I believe that would be a better approach for
> the majority of bugs than requesting it be changed to "New", as it shows the
> bug likely already has the required logs, whereas many "New" bugs don't have
> them.

I believe that leaving the status of the bug task alone, which makes it
"Incomplete w/ response", is the right thing to do.  The current
definition of Confirmed is that has been experienced by another person
is quite useful and should not be changed.

> For example:
>
> >This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem. From
> a terminal window please run:
>
> >apport-collect BUGNUMBER

By the way the apport-collect process actually adds a tag,
apport-collected, to the bug report.  This is something that you could
search for if you wanted.

Finally, by requiring bug reporters to make a change to a bug task's
status we are introducing a chance for something to go wrong.

--
Brian Murray
Ubuntu Bug Master