Have I filed bug 776834 wrongly?

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre mathieu.tl at gmail.com
Fri May 6 15:00:14 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 3:07 AM, John Costella <john.costella at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi bugsquad,
> I filed bug report 776834 which happens to contains apport collections for
> two bugs that are making Natty unusable:
>
> frequent hard crash of machine (and consequent corruption of file system),
> seems related to wifi driver connection / disconnection (via switch or
> because of next bug)
> wifi driver broken -- dropping connection if signal not full strength (was
> working in Maverick; hardware works fine under Windows)
>
> However, I think I followed some wrong Launchpad procedures because the bug
> seems to be ignored.
> The machine is unusable under Ubuntu. I was going to re-install 10.10 but
> it's no longer downloadable. I'm now looking at alternative Linux distros as
> this is a disaster -- this is a work machine.
> Thanks in advance for any help; apologies if I filed things using the wrong
> procedures.

No, seems to me like you've filed it correctly, against the 'linux'
Ubuntu package, so it's considered as a kernel issue (and it seems it
would be).

Looks to me like there may be two drivers able to do the job for this
wifi device on your system. I suspect you'd be able to disable wifi or
keep it unused long enough on your system (connecting via wired,
disabling in the BIOS or whatever) to get to the Restricted Drivers
application, which should allow you to choose between a "free"
brcm80211 driver (the one currently in use, from what I can see), to
the "proprietary" Broadcom driver; also usually called "STA" from
within the restricted drivers list. Try to use the Broadcom STA
driver, in case it helps.

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu.tl at gmail.com>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl at gmail.com
4096R/EE018C93 1967 8F7D 03A1 8F38 732E  FF82 C126 33E1 EE01 8C93