Proposing regression bugs process simplification.

Jean-Baptiste Lallement jean-baptiste at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 13 10:30:48 BST 2010

On 09/28/2010 10:49 AM, Jean-Baptiste Lallement wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> Some of us on the QA Team, have been thinking about the current process
> with regression tags. One of our goals is to make bug reporting and bug
> triage as least complicated as possible. We have been reviewing the bugs
> with a regression-* tag and it appears that we need a change to make it
> simpler.
>
> The report [1] gives an overview of the state of regression bugs. We
> have found that many regression-potential bugs are filed against a
> released version and need to be promoted or demoted and targeted to the
> right release(s). At release time we should have evaluated what to
> convert from regression-potential to regression-release, but it's hard
> to keep track once the release is out and change all tags.
>
> Most of the time the regression-potential tag is used as a backseat to
> regression-release or interpreted as a 'regression to be confirmed'. So
> using regression-potential requires extra work:
> - mark it as regression-potential
> - confirm it is a regression
>   - nominate
> - confirm it is *not* a regression
>   - remove tag from bug
> - when the release is out, verify all 'regression-potential'
>   - change to 'regression-release' if correct
>   - nominate
>   - otherwise, remove tag.
>
> We feel this could be made easier.
>
> So, we have studied many ways to make it simpler and are proposing the
> following change to the current process:
> keep only 3 tags:
>  - regression-release,
>  - regression-updates
>  - regression-proposed
>
> depending on the pocket - and nominating / targeting to every release
> the regression as it is today whatever the release is (development or
> released). We think that's all what we need for a nice clean regression
> work flow.

With the feedback we received and the release of 10.10 we are going to
implement the changes:
- Mark regressions as regression-(release|proposed|update) followed by
the version we found it in
- promote/demote regression reports tagged as regression-potential

We will organize a bug day soon to triage the reports marked as
regression-potential.

If you have any question/comment/complaint or whatever about this
change, don't hesitate to comment.

--
Jean-Baptiste
irc: jibel