[Ubuntu-bugcontrol] bugsquad and bugcontrol application

Gary Lasker gary.lasker at canonical.com
Thu Mar 25 19:47:59 GMT 2010

Hi folks,

As one of the developers for Software Center during the Lucid cycle, I'd
like to give my enthusiastic +1 for Kiwinote for bugcontrol.  I must say
that I have very much appreciated the excellent bug work that Kiwinote
has been doing for Software Center.  I know that Michael Vogt feels the
same way (we've discussed our appreciation of Kiwinote's bug work).

When he confirms bugs, he's very meticulous in insuring that he is
confirming the exact bug reported, often updating the description with
additional details when needed. He takes the time to include screenshots
when it helps to clarify the problem
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/514849).  When he searches out
duplicates, he is always insightful and detailed in his analysis (see
bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/420524 for a great example of this).
  Another appreciated quality is that he takes the time and trouble to
retest older bugs and close them when he confirms that they have been
fixed in a more recent release, helping to keep the outstanding bug list
cleaner and more accurate.

In addition, when Kiwinote opens a new bug, it's always very well
written; well thought out, researched when needed, and generally comes
out of the box with all of the details that we need to understand the
problem.

Brian C., I appreciate your detailed analysis and concerns, particularly
on the issue of setting importance accurately.  Maybe it would be
helpful if I were to clarify a couple of issues:

 >     5b. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/530187
 >
 >  I don't understand why you assigned yourself to the bug report here
 > since Gary Lasker fixed it.

Oh, I can't take the credit for this.  Kiwinote indeed fixed it, see his
branch linked from the bug, and this line in the changelog:

* merge lp:~kiwinote/software-center/bug530187, many thanks to
     "Kiwinote" (LP: #530187)

 > - https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/528051
 >  528051 - you said high, but it's only wishlist

Actually, here is a case where Kiwinote's deep familiarity with Software
Center is of such great value.  I think it's not so obvious when reading
the bug description, but this bug is a major usability issue and I would
not consider it "wishlist".  See the comment in the description "This
list is very slow to load and impossible to browse."  This is very true,
and so if not exactly "high", it's certainly "medium" imo as this bug
"has a moderate impact on a core application".

I'll leave off here.  It's certainly arguable that Kiwinote could
benefit from additional review of the exact criteria in setting bug
importances, but in my opinion his many strengths, his hard work, and
the consistently very high quality of his bug work more than compensate
for this. I have every confidence that he will quickly master the
essential skill of accurate setting of importance as well.

Thanks very much for reading and considering my comments,
Gary Lasker