Launchpad Bug Filing Changes for Ubuntu

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 16 00:37:19 BST 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 03:13:28PM -0400, Yuriy Kozlov wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Brian Murray <brian at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > As a part of the Increase Apport Adoption specification[1] we are going
> > to kick off an experiment and redirect all of Ubuntu's /+filebug links
> > in Launchpad to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs. This
> > change has been tested on staging.launchpad.net already and will be
> > landing shortly on edge.launchpad.net(*).
> >
> > If you review the specification and the documentation bug reporters will
> > be redirected to, you will notice that we spent a lot of time and energy
> > on ensuring that we improve the quality of bugs when they are reported.
> > The time many of us spend on triaging very incomplete bugs is not
> > sustainable given the volume of bug reports. Having reporters use
> > ubuntu-bug (apport more specifically) to report bugs will reduce many of
> > these problems for us.
> >
> > In order to make the transition for our users smoother, we'd like to ask
> > you to help out with a few things:
> >
> > 1) If you take care of a high-profile package, consider adding it to
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage which is linked to from
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs.
> >
> > 2) Please consider writing an apport hook for the packages you take care
> > of, if you need special information in bug reports - it's REALLY easy:
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport/DeveloperHowTo#Package%20Hooks
> >
> > 3) If the area of Ubuntu that you take care of is better suited by
> > symptom based bug reporting ("storage", "boot", "install", "sound",
> > etc.), consider contributing to the apport-symptoms package - it too is
> > REALLY easy:
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport/DeveloperHowTo#Symptoms
> >
> > By helping us receive higher quality bug reports, we will help to help
> > make Ubuntu even better!
> >
> > [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Specs/IncreaseApportAdoption
> > (*) There will be a +filebug?no-redirect if you really really need it.
> >
> > --
> > Brian Murray
> > On behalf of the Ubuntu QA Team
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> Would it be possible to direct to a different page for some packages?

No, the way the Launchpad code is written the redirect is done for every
package related to the Ubuntu distribution - not on a per package basis.

> In particular, I would like to see Kubuntu screenshots on the page for
> the relevant packages.  There is currently such a page here:
> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Bugs/Reporting but it needs some
> updating.  Kubuntu Karmic enables apport-bug for everything, so the
> normal ReportingBugs page is accurate except for the screenshots and
> the system monitor instructions.

I hadn't see that wiki page before it looks very nice!  Perhaps close to
the very top of the ReportingBugs wiki page we should have a link for
Kubuntu users to the page you indicated?

--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com