Launchpad Bug Filing Changes for Ubuntu

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 15 18:53:23 BST 2009

Hello everybody,

As a part of the Increase Apport Adoption specification[1] we are going
to kick off an experiment and redirect all of Ubuntu's /+filebug links
in Launchpad to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs. This
change has been tested on staging.launchpad.net already and will be
landing shortly on edge.launchpad.net(*).

If you review the specification and the documentation bug reporters will
be redirected to, you will notice that we spent a lot of time and energy
on ensuring that we improve the quality of bugs when they are reported.
The time many of us spend on triaging very incomplete bugs is not
sustainable given the volume of bug reports. Having reporters use
ubuntu-bug (apport more specifically) to report bugs will reduce many of
these problems for us.

In order to make the transition for our users smoother, we'd like to ask
you to help out with a few things:

1) If you take care of a high-profile package, consider adding it to
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/FindRightPackage which is linked to from
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs.

2) Please consider writing an apport hook for the packages you take care
of, if you need special information in bug reports - it's REALLY easy:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport/DeveloperHowTo#Package%20Hooks

3) If the area of Ubuntu that you take care of is better suited by
symptom based bug reporting ("storage", "boot", "install", "sound",
etc.), consider contributing to the apport-symptoms package - it too is
REALLY easy:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport/DeveloperHowTo#Symptoms

By helping us receive higher quality bug reports, we will help to help
make Ubuntu even better!

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Specs/IncreaseApportAdoption
(*) There will be a +filebug?no-redirect if you really really need it.

--
Brian Murray
On behalf of the Ubuntu QA Team