Bugs Reported Against a PPA

Brian Murray brian at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 6 22:22:02 GMT 2009

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 03:08:29PM -0500, Andres Mujica wrote:
> > of PPAs, this should be addressed.
> >
> > > The best thing I can think of is to make Launchpad grow functionality
> > > to file bugs against PPAs. People should be filing bugs in the place
> > > where they got the software.
> >

> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/malone/+bug/179873
>
> That would be the bug.
>

> > I agree, and this is also what I proposed. But this functionality does
> > not currently exist in Malone -- and this is also why I suggested
> > involving Malone/LP development in this. But we should not need to
> > wait...
> >

> Maybe in the meantime tag the bugs with [PPA] at the title and ppa at the tag?

I think setting the bug report to Invalid, since we have no way to find
out who the owner of the PPA is nor a guarantee that they've subscribed
to the package bug reports, and modifying the title and tagging as
you've suggested is the best available option.  This will still allow
PPA owners to find bug reports if they wish to go looking for them.
While this isn't the ideal solution I believe it is the least
objectionable.

When its easier to associate package versions with PPA owners, or the
previously mentioned Malone bug is resolved or PPA bug report volume
increases we should revisit the situation.

--
Brian Murray                                                 @ubuntu.com