Incomplete with no response >30 days

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Tue May 27 17:22:17 BST 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Reinhard Tartler <siretart at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Wolfger <wolfger at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> a) I didn't know (and still really don't, aside from bdmurray's
>> greasemonkey script) how to tell a workflow bug from a regular bug
>
> Waaait a minute. I now assume that you are talking about
> http://launchpad.net/bugs/154730? How much more clear can the
> title "Please remove secvpn source and binary from Hardy" with the
> team "Ubuntu Package Administrators" subscribed and a valid and
> understandable rationale in the bug description be?

LOL. To me, it could be much clearer. I think the fact that it seems
obvious to you and nearly invisible to me highlights the issue.
1) the title of the bug doesn't really say anything to me. Maybe
that's a clue I should leave it alone, but I've seen (and successfully
dealt with) many bugs which had titles that made no sense. I was going
on the content... one single comment which went nearly half a year
with no response or other indication that the bug was being worked on.
2) When I go to that link, I don't see who the subscribers are. That
field is collapsed. I don't normally go looking at who is subscribed
to a bug when I triage it. Even if the list of subscribers was
visible, I never considered that to be pertinent information before.
If it's unassigned, I tend to assume it's not being worked on.
Obviously our perspectives are quite different, and I see now that I
was in the wrong, but it astounds me that anybody thinks this is
obvious.

> Perhaps it makes sense to collect issues like that in malone? It is very
> hard to follow arguments on mailing lists like this.

I don't even know what "malone" is. Please educate me.

>> So really it all boils down to the need for better documentation of
>> procedure, better adherence to procedure, and possibly a need for
>> better procedures.
>
> I'd like to add announcments and announcements of changes to those
> procedures to that list.

Sure. Communication is vital. Especially when it concerns new or
changed procedures.

--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/

My 5 today: #90080 (macchanger), #150557 (linux-source-2.6.20), #75818
(linux-source-2.6.15), #68329 (pbuilder), #185480 (octave3.0)
Do 5 a day - every day! https://wiki.ubuntu.com/5-A-Day