Adding a tag to wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Tags

Emmet Hikory persia at ubuntu.com
Sat Aug 9 15:58:12 BST 2008

Bug Squad,
    There's a class of bugs with Java applications that depend on the
full Java Runtime Environment when they could depend on a headless
Java Runtime Environment (no video or audio support).  Ensuring that
applications which don't need video or audio support use this headless
JRE is an important step towards being able to use Java well on
servers (which are often headless).

    I've seen at least one bug that complained about the dependencies
of a Java application being too complex (why is X required for a
*command line* tool?), and suspect there will be more as we get closer
to the goal and build an expectation in users that Java should work in
headless mode.

    To ease the work of developers chasing this goal, I'd like to
request that the "java-headless" tag be used for bugs that address
excessive dependencies of Java applications where those excessive
dependencies include spurious requests for X or audio libraries.  I've
started using this tag myself for cases where I find bugs of this
type, but would like to add it to Bugs/Tags in the hopes of increasing
the number of people who might see such bugs and add the tag so that
those people working on the problem may have their work better
directed.

    I'd like to hear comments from others for or against the addition
of this tag to the Bugs/Tags page.  With luck, we'll complete the
transition in intrepid, but more likely intrepid+1, so this tag will
have a limited lifespan.

--
Emmet HIKORY