Adding a tag to wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Tags

HggdH hggdh2 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 16:19:09 BST 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 23:58 +0900, Emmet Hikory wrote:
> Bug Squad,
>     There's a class of bugs with Java applications that depend on the
> full Java Runtime Environment when they could depend on a headless
> Java Runtime Environment (no video or audio support).  Ensuring that
> applications which don't need video or audio support use this headless
> JRE is an important step towards being able to use Java well on
> servers (which are often headless).
>
>     I've seen at least one bug that complained about the dependencies
> of a Java application being too complex (why is X required for a
> *command line* tool?), and suspect there will be more as we get closer
> to the goal and build an expectation in users that Java should work in
> headless mode.

+1 from me. I have never understood why some console applications would
depend on having a graphical environment (or sound, etc). This has been
a pet peevee of mine for quite some years, and I have been extremely
vocal on some commercial products about it.

If tagging will help, let's do it.

..hggdh..