Bug status clarifications requested

Mathias Gug mathiaz at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 22 17:51:57 GMT 2007

Hi Paul,

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 12:21:30PM -0500, Paul Dufresne wrote:
> Often while triaging bugs, I come on bugs that were reported on old
> versions, but seems to be fixed in current or development version.
> That said, most of the time I have no idea exactly when, or where it
> has been fixed. I use to mark them Invalid in this case, because I
> take that 'Fix release' should only be use by a developer to mark that
> his patch not only have been committed, but released.
>
> But then reading
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Responses#head-246b9a0b2091d7aee70afd2b0579dbbc986eb51b
> I begin to seriously think I should mark them 'Fix released'.

Yes. If the bug has been solved in the current development release, it
should be marked as Fix Released. If the bug is serious enough to
consider a Stable Release Update, it should be nominated for the
corresponding release.

> An other less common situation I wonder if I should use 'Fix released'
> or not is in:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/php5/+bug/21995
> Here the bug have been fix in Debian, but the version in Hardy is not
> yet the same as the fix one in Debian.

Confirmed is a good action. May be 'Fix Committed' could also be used ?

> Last, I often confirm bugs that I am not sure it is a bug because I
> have not enough knowledge of the package, but I am pretty sure the
> package maintainer would have no problem with the information given up
> to now. I just hope it is right to do so.

Yes.  A Developer should set it back to Incomplete if it's not complete
enough and Triager should keep working on the bug to get the relevant
information. If the developer consider that the report is good enough,
it should set the bug status to Triaged.

> Also, I believe the package naming scheme is supposed to indicate if
> the package is specific to Ubuntu, taken from Debian, taken from an
> other project. But I don't easily find back where this is explained.

Right. You can find this information in
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment#UbuntuPackages. It should
probably be added to the Packaging Guide (which is the first place where
I looked at).

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Lists/BugStatus (Rejected
> should become Invalid here)

If you come across errors, don't hesitate to correct them !

--
Mathias