Bitesize bugs for new developpers? Resources?

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at iserv.net
Wed Feb 14 15:39:59 GMT 2007

I think this would be a great idea, I think more "mentors" or "training"
would be great.
I'm not a developer and I don't even play one on television, but I found
that if I just ask people for questions, often times the bug will become
closed due to it either working after an update or no response from the
initial requestor.  I think more people need to see that they don't have
to be a developer or even understand packaging to triage bugs.
Maybe we need to lower the percieved level for initial bug triagers and
then somehow graduate good triagers to a higher level?  Isn't that the
difference beteween ubuntu-bugs and ubuntu-qa?  Maybe that needs to be
discussed more widely?
> Hi everyone,
>
> Is anyone aware if there are people volunteering to support people who are
> already programmers but are unfamiliar with Linux and are willing to help?
> Like the bugs which are marked as "bitesize" could be used as "training"
> if
> someone (like a mentor) could help people (like me!) who want to help but
> don't know where to start.
>
> I tried a while ago to start working on projects but the resources are all
> scattered and I found that generally in the community it's very much a
> "chacun pour soi" kind of attitude which often deters the efforts of
> would-be programmers who could eventually bring something bigger to the
> community... To make a story short, I just stopped trying. I believe there
> must many people who follow the same path I did, and it's a waste. If
> there
> would be a clear, helpful entry point for new developpers, the community
> would grow bigger, faster. I guess some people may see the breaking point
> of
> actually being able to do something as the "acceptance test" but I don't
> think that helps the cause of open source very much.
>
> Thanks for you input
>
> Math
>
> On 2/14/07, Daniel Holbach <daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> we just had a MOTU meeting and were assembling our TODO list. For those
>> who don't know yet: the MOTUs have lots of volunteers and lots of people
>> joining in, some of them uncertain where to start in Ubuntu's Universe.
>>
>> I'd like us all to make an effort to tag Universe and Multiverse bugs
>> (others maybe too) as:
>>
>> 'packaging' if you think that the bug lies only in the packaging.
>> 'bitesize' if you think that it's suitable for a beginner.
>>
>> If you can think of tags that'd help with that, follow up to the list
>> and let us know.

>>       * Universe/Multiverse bugs: http://tinyurl.com/2nu8rm
>>       * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Bugs
>>
>> Thanks a lot, have a nice day,