Free DVDs!

Christian Robottom Reis kiko at async.com.br
Tue Dec 12 17:37:40 GMT 2006

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 11:13:43AM -0500, Carthik Sharma wrote:
> On 12/12/06, Christian Robottom Reis <kiko at async.com.br> wrote:
> >
> >To ensure the message is across: we want both confirmation (or
> >invalidation) of bugs, and indication of what source package(s) they are
> >related to. You get extra good vibes if you add upstream bug watches for
> >the upstream bugs, but the thing I'm really looking for is confirmation
> >and source package indication.
>
> I have tried my hand at tackling this exact subset of bugs before. The
> biggest problem is that a majority of the bugs cannot be assigned a
> package -- "Ubuntu" -- best describes where the bug belongs. A bug
> entitled "(K)Ubuntu crashes frequently" is one example. Others deal
> with specific laptops/hardware and so it may not be evident which
> package the bug belongs to. My rough estimate is that about 100-200
> bugs of the lot will be of this kind - where a package isn't obvious.

Yeah, finding out what package(s) a bug stems from is a non-trivial
exercise. Sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes you can call in a
"consultant" in the figure of a developer once you have a log, stack
trace or way to reproduce the error. So for these bugs in particular you
really want to interact with the reporter to collect data to try and
close the circle a bit. You can also kick a lot of them into NeedsInfo
-- and we could forseeably autoclose the NeedsInfo after a while if no
reply came back.

I do believe, however, that all bugs will either be Invalid or live in a
package, so it's a matter of trying harder. And ask me if you need help
with triaging or with Malone -- I /really want/ to give out this bounty
:-)

> >On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 02:17:34PM +0100, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
> >> I think zero is a difficult task though because two new ones will always
> >> sneak in at the end. But you can of course determine that by looking at
> >> the dates.
> >
> >You're right -- but I want to see that number get down to one digit, and
> >stay there. I know there is a lot of up-front work that needs to be
> >done, which is why I'm putting up this bounty (and also because movies
> >are always good karma!), but I want us to keep the number down once
> >we're there! I'll be okay with is stipulating an error margin of 20
> >bugs, but I'll be even happier with a hard zero!
>
> Nice bounty though! Let me take a crack at getting there :)

I can even suggest some good movies if you don't have your own list ;-)
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3376 0125