[Ubuntu-be] Dutch Ubuntu 12.04 Manual V0.1 Draft

Wouter Vandenneucker woutervddn at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 12:09:36 UTC 2012

Hi Alain

The installation process should indeed be covered. But I'll explain the
deal we have with ERGO to tell you why I don't include it in this version.

ERGO (the company where my dad works) is changing to a clean desk policy
and everybody gets a laptop.
All desktops become obsolete by this. Every company employee can ask to
keep his or her computer and can even ask for multiple computers.
(That is because most people don't ask to keep their computer so those who
want can even get more than one)

This came to my ears and since we really need some new hardware for
Ubuntu-be I sent them a mail asking for about 20 computers.
The deal that came from this is following:

As it is for a "good cause" and we were the first to ask, we can get some
computers (probably 20, but not sure about the exact amount). Even more:
all obsolete desktops get Ubuntu installed on them (since they have to
swipe the drive anyway). So the computers we get from ERGO will have Ubuntu
on it, and all other computers from ERGO that are taken by other employees
will have Ubuntu on it. In return we provide them with a decent Dutch
beginners manual.

This deal was made in March I believe, and there are several computers
waiting to come home with my dad already. That's why I want to go fast on
this tutorial (ideally it should be ready by the end of tomorrow). Since
the computers come with Ubuntu already installed it isn't necessary for the
employees to install Ubuntu on them. To save time I decided to include the
chapter about installing later for the general version of the manual but
not for this ERGO version of it.

I hope this answers your question. I will try to do the installing part as
soon as possible. However, if you want, feel free to do that yourself!
If someone makes the installing part today or tomorrow, I will include it
in the manual as well..

Kind regards

Wouter Vandenneucker