[Ubuntu-be] IRC meeting 10/02/2011 – Report

jean7491-Events-Team jean7491 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 20:01:43 UTC 2011

IRC meeting 10/02/2011 – Report
Present at the meeting (in random order) : JanC, mongolito404,
jimbauwens, ramtar, sylvaintechnic, woutervddn, Jean7491

1. Past and future events
  a. Dipro fair Kortrijk 06/02/2011  - report
Good event, see report and pictures in the wiki page
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs/Kortrijk_2011-02-06

  b. FOSDEM 2011 Brussels - 05-06/02/2011  - report
  JanC is preparing a report. Things went pretty well, the team sold a
lot of t-shirts & Tux chocolates and bought 200 metalic case badges.
JanC got the leftover "Weg naar de vrijheid" posters and gave 750 of
them to Ubuntu-nl, 250 to Guy Duportail and has between 750 & 1000 left.

  c. Hobby and computers days - Antwerp 26-27/02/2011
Ubuntu-be will organize a booth during the 2 days (coordinator: Bram).
Therefore, we need  at least 2x4 volunteers. A few names are already in,
but not enough, we need 2 additional volunteers each day.
Willing to help promoting Ubuntu ?  Please add your names in the wiki
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs/Antwerp_2011-02-26-27
A few Tux chocolates, cd's, t-shirts and metallic case badges could be
moved to Antwerp: to be coordinated with Bram and nero.

  d. Digital Week 2011 - 28/02-04/03/2011
Already scheduled on 03/03/2011: presentation (2 sessions) of Ubuntu in
the public library – Ostend
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/DigitalWeek-2011 Volunteers wishing
to help in Ostend ? Contact jean7491.
Other event on 26/02 in Niel : see
http://www.digitaleweek.be/activiteiten-2011/infodag-computerclub-monitor-niel-vzw

  e. Dipro fair Brugge – 13/03/2011
Volunteers? please add your names in the wiki
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs/Brugge_2011-03-13

  f. Dipro Charleroi – 20/03/2011
ramtar will coordinate the booth, he already contacted the LUG's
Culbutte and Laclic. Sylvain joins the team. Other volunteers? Please
add your names in
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs/Charleroi_2011-03-20
Preparation of the promotion material will start soon.

2. Promotion
  a. t-shirts - Update
80 t-shirts were sold at Fosdem. Remaining stock t-shirts: Women: S = 1
∘ M = 2 ∘ L = 4 • Men: M = 4 ∘ L = 8 ∘ XL = 1.
It is suggested to move the left-over stock to Antwerp Hobby and
computersdays and to order another 100 t-shirts (already 26 ordered in
pre-sale).
Kids t-shirts with a different funny design is another possibility.

  b. Ubuntu promotion material for fairs/events :
- "Weg naar de vrijheid" posters: it is suggested to distribute (free)
posters in Antwerp, and to announce it through Dipro regular email, for
example, a gratis poster to the x first visitors (with a story?). This
could be an opportunity to ask people to write about experiences with
Ubuntu.

- Flyers Ubuntu-be a6 (2011)
We need more new ideas/designs for new flyers 2011. Proposals are in
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/PromotionMaterial/ProposalsFlyers2011 .
Please add your proposals/comments in the mailing list for discussion
(and in the wiki). ramtar will translate the flyer in French. woutervddn
will provide the source file. Deadline for the project: 01 June 2011

- Rollups to improve our booths: which design?  First proposals are
already in. Please add your proposals in the wiki page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/PromotionMaterial/ProposalsRollup2011
Question to Canonical (if (free or cheap) rollups are available?) will
be sent through the LoCo-teams Council and the
loco-contacts op lists.ubuntu.com (mailing list). Perhaps other LoCo teams
are interested?

  c. Press contact Fench
ramtar is volunteer to replace Nicolas P. who resigned a few months ago.
Sylvain is volunteer as second contact point. No objection, nor remark,
the applications were approved.

3. Update Wiki and Web-site
  a. Wiki
- A link “where to buy a laptop without MS Windows “ (to an outdated
page) has been added to the home page
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam (see Material). This page needs to
be updated (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/OsLessLaptopShops).
- An update of the wiki will start with a To Do list
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/TODO and
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-belgium/+bug/346975) . An IRC meeting
is planned on 15/02 at 20.00 h. (for who is interested), with a report
at the next meeting. Details will be sent to the mailing list.

  b. Web-site
- We are now working (thanks mongolito404) at a contact-form to be
included in the web-site, as a way to contact ubuntu-be (not for
technical support), The form is at http://ubuntu-be.org/en/contact and
needs translations (Nl and Ge).

- woutervddn is working on a page promoting our actions/events (text and
pictures). The aim is to show what we do, hoping that new volunteers
will join. It is suggested to promote our work/hobby on Facebook, in the
wiki and web-site.

- ramtar proposes to add our activities in http://www.agendadulibre.be

4. Other questions
A meeting IRL of interested Ubunteros is suggested  (Meet & Drink -
Ubuntu Hour), perhaps an Ubuntu happy hours could be easier to
organize,locally, before trying a bigger central meeting? Brugge,
Hasselt-Genk, Antwerpen ?
Additionally but not priority, this kind of meeting could be an
opportunity to launch/coordinate future activities.

5. Next IRC meeting on Thursday 17/02/2011 at 21.00 hr.

--
jean7491
Ubuntu Belgium Events Team