[Ubuntu-be] Remember - IRC meeting tomorrow Thursday 28/10/2010 at 21.00 hr.

Steven Vancoillie steven.vancoillie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 13:59:05 BST 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 14:11 +0200, Jan Bongaerts wrote:

> I actually read that Windows reserves a lot of memory that it's not
> actively using (perhaps another reason why it needs more memory to
> begin with) and that it's caching system is not as hot as Linux's.
> Apparently Windows resorts to the hard disk more than Linux.
> I found a lot of articles and/or forum entries to that respect when
> googling around.
> Being a layman, when surfing the net it's hard to differentiate
> between well-founded truths and urban myth hogwash.

When it comes down to it, there are lots of opinions like "Linux sucks
because hardware X or my favorite software Y doesn't work".  While these
are rather stupid sayings, it's basically how most desktop users will
evaluate their OS.  That being said, I would concentrate on the fact
that (1) GNU/Linux is free (but mostly ppl don't care as they buy their
computer with an OS already installed), (2) a huge number of free/good
applications directly available from the repositories (multimedia:
rhythmbox, pitivi, avidemux, vlc; graphics: shotwell, inkscape, gimp;
office work: openoffice, zoho, firefox, thunderbird, chromium) and
projects like "wine" which allow you to run Windows stuff like MS Office
on your favorite GNU/Linux distribution, (3) much less to no problems
with viruses or malware.

Well, being an exclusive Linux user myself, I can say that for me, Linux
is better, but mostly not for any of the reasons you have given :)
There is a difference between the kernel/OS and the desktop/applications
that run on it, and the latter is what most people care about.

>         Perhaps he has read the following newsarticle where a
>         Microsoft .net approach from Accenture ended in a day of
>         "downtime" and the linux implementation set new records
>         (towards other linux implementations of other applications)
>                 > http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/10/24/207204/LSE-Breaks-World-Record-In-Trade-Speed-With-Linux?from=rss

Well, as far as I can tell, they didn't run the same application on
Linux/Windows, so isn't that comparing apples to oranges?