[Ubuntu-be] IRC meeting 17/02/2010 – Report

Jean7491 Jean7491 at free.fr
Thu Feb 18 20:51:50 GMT 2010

IRC meeting 17/02/2010 – Report
Present at the meeting (in random order) : XiaoShiZi, JanC,
pvandewijngaerde, nero_, jean7491, mimor, mongolito404, ramtar, yva, LarsB

1. Support points map status
mongolito404 put the project on-line for all to see and test. it is
available at http://ubuntu.gwickt.com/drupal6/
Everybody is invited to register there and to test it. For now no map,
only a list of support point, and only in English.
The next step is to get as many test (and bug report) from the
community, so mongolito404 can finish and release version 0.1 during
March 2010.
So things are going on, slowly but in the right direction.

2. Future events
a. Antwerp - Hobby & computerdays (20–21/02/2010), in cooperation with
HCC regio Vlaanderen
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs/Antwerp_2010-02-20_21
The teams for 20 and 21/02 are constituted.
20 CD’s and 30 CD sleeves are available in Ostend and can be brought by
JanC to Antwerp, with the remaining stock of material available for
selling and other promotion material.
For the participants, R.V. is planned 20/02 at 08.30 hr., parking
accessible from Vogelzanglaan, booth is in hall 3.
A mail will be sent to Indra for the use of the Ubuntu-logo painted in
Stekene in August 2009.

b. Dipro Brugge 28/02
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs/Brugge_2010-02-28
For now, only 3 volunteers in the team : this is likely enough for such
a fair, but additional (new) volunteers are still welcome ! New
volunteers can get experience for when some of the regulars can't help

c. Dipro Charleroi 07/03
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ComputerFairs/Charleroi_2010-03-07
ramtar is in charge of this event, with the help of Cedric : he is in
contact with two LUG's (CULButte and CLIC) and will contact other
volunteers.
Preparation of the hardware and promotion material is going on.
Newcomer yva could eventually help at Dipro Charleroi.

d. The digital week 06-12/03
(1) Suggestion for a presentation of Ubuntu on 07/03 in Bree, contacts
are going on. Additional volunteers will be welcome.
(2) On 11/02 Ubuntu-be will be present in Ostend with a booth
(forum-room bibliotheek Kris Lambert) for 2 sessions (presentation,
demos and ...)
http://zandletters.be/spip.php?article150
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/DigitalWeek-Ostend_2010-03-11
Additional volunteers are welcome on this day (at 12-13 hr. and 19-20 hr.).

e. Dipro Mechelen (14/03) and Oostmalle (21/03) : at the agenda next
meeting.

3. Promotion material
Comment about the proposal to burn CD's for Ubuntu-be ? See last week
reports (in the wiki).
We are still looking for volunteers to lead this project and to
investigate the possibilities, including prices-offers.
Who will contribute to this project ?

4. Things living in the mailing list
a. As already mentioned last week, we should find new ways/events to
promote Ubuntu : open-doors organized by schools, hobby fairs locally
organized by associations or cities, open ICT day, … All suggestions are
welcome.
Local initiative is the key of success : everybody can look for contact
and propose activities.
- yva suggests install parties : such parties are useful for people
wanting to use Ubuntu, but first people need to hear and learn about Ubuntu.
- ramtar suggests a Gnu/Lan Party : if the Gnu/Lan party is a success we
can made other event in Belgium with Matthew's help.
- As other way to promote Ubuntu (and FOSS), ramtar proposes activities
to teach people how to do something like manipulating photo or video,
using The GIMP and other specific programs.
- JanC : we are also asked by the people from LGM 2010 (Libre Graphics
Meeting, in Brussels this year).
The day before the conference (end of May), they want to do workshops
for graphics students. They asked us to give an introduction to
Linux/Ubuntu, and after that they will give workshops about the open
source graphics software. http://www.libregraphicsmeeting.org/2010/
As soon as more information is available, we will look for volunteers
for the Ubuntu session.

b. Proposition of ramtar
He would like to organize an Ubuntu Day special in his school in
Ecaussinnes (near Charleroi, Mons, La Louvière, Brussels is not too far)
but a big event with more than just install party, talks/conference, LAN
party, release party 10.04LTS. Public : all people, for Linuxians,
end-users and people who want to discover Ubuntu. More details will
follow later.

c. About the procedure for re-approval of the Be LoCo Team, the LoCo
council has reviewed yesterday our re-approval application, but did not
yet vote due to not enough LoCo council members in the meeting. Vote
will occur off-line but no doubt on the result.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ReapprovalApplication2010

d. Suggestion of a monthly report : the item will be reviewed at the
next meeting.

e. ramtar about agendadulibre.be : I made agendadulibre.be with a friend
from the LUG La CLIC and we would like to make a Nl and En version. We
need volunteers to work on a NL version. Who can help us (answer through
the mailing list).

5. Next meeting on 24/02/2010 at 21 h.

--
jean7491