[Ubuntu-be] Ubuntu support points map - a little test - ICTdag.be

Jan Claeys ubuntu at janc.be
Fri Jul 24 23:52:44 BST 2009

Op vrijdag 24-07-2009 om 17:55 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Koen Wybo:
> Op woensdag 22-07-2009 om 22:40 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Jurgen
> > 2. Can we set up a decent stand?
> >
> > This question is possibly even more important is you don't want to
> > profile Ubuntu as "a bunch of amateurs".
> > I would hope a specific task-force for this audience would be worth
> > while...
>
> Maar geen 'bunch of amateurs'... Wat betekent het woord task-force dan?
> Denkt men hier commercieel / affiliatie met canonical of privépartners?
> Of eerder iets in de zin van hogeschoolstudenten die begeleiden (en waar
> vind je die dan?) Of 'vrijwillige' leerkrachten die elkaar ondersteunen
> (maar zitten we dan weer niet bij 'a bunch of amateurs'?)

Teachers & ICT-coordinators are professionals by definition in this
context.  They need to talk about their experiences, both
implementations they did themselves, or systems/services/etc. they
bought from companies.

As ubuntu-be we can't affiliate with one business partner, but building
a directory of companies that provide Ubuntu-related services in Belgium
(or part of it) is certainly something we need to do.

And providing some basic support within ubuntu-be, preferably between
interested people in the field, is a good thing, but nobody can ever
_demand_ that we (as a LoCoTeam) will solve problems.

> > specific targeted folders could then be printed in lower
> > volumes... and I think it's easy to have some Edubuntu systems running
> > out there...

> Edubuntu is interessant voor de thin-client maar zijn veel scholen hier
> rijp voor? Anders: waarom niet een 'gewone' ubuntu?

"Fat" clients, "thin" clients, "multiseats", we need to show them all
possible solutions.

> > Some things to think about.
> > I agree with Koen: we shouldn't be pulling strings if we then end up
> > making ourselves and Ubuntu ridiculous.
> > Maybe it's worth our while to wait this out for another year and get our
> > act together (but keep it on our roadmap)
>
> Liefst niet enkel een 'act' maar ook effectief iets te betekenen voor
> het onderwijs. Dit gaat over sponsoring, contact zoeken met het
> ministerie van onderwijs en de Guimardstraat (70 procent van het
> onderwijs), mensen hebben die te velde het werk gaan verrichten, enz.
> Met andere woorden een soort van businessplan (hoewel ik dit woord
> afgrijselijk vind).

I think it's important to be "out there" and having some _documented_
examples of successful implementations before we go to those instances.
(Well, a "reconnaissance talk" with them won't hurt now of course.)

--
Jan Claeys