[Ubuntu-be] About the Belgian Local Community Team (Belgian LoCo Team)

Jan Claeys ubuntu at janc.be
Sun Jul 12 00:09:10 BST 2009

Op zaterdag 11-07-2009 om 23:23 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef martijn
cielen:
> 1. Het consequente gebruik van het Engels. Dit is België, en hier zijn
> 3 officiële landstalen: Nederlands, Frans en Duits. Het gebruik van
> het Engels is dan ook compleet belachelijk, temeer daar een grote
> meerderheid niet eens deftig Engels kan schrijven (ja, ik ben een
> taalpurist). Ben je niet tweetalig? Of zitten er mensen op de lijst
> die niet tweetalig zijn?
> Begrijpelijk, maar dat brengt me meteen bij punt 2.

There are many people who are bilingual mother-tongue/English, which is
exactly why we initially stated that we prefer English on this list.

It's also no crime to make grammar/spelling errors (just try to make
sure most people understand).  Except for 1 or 2 people on the list,
English is not their native tongue.

And it's no crime to write in Dutch/French/German if you don't feel
comfortable to write in English (even if it's appreciated if you do).

> 2. Ubuntu-be: waarom niet opsplitsen in een Ubuntu-vla en een
> Ubuntu-wal (bijvoorbeeld). Zo het sowieso veel makkelijker maken,
> aangezien Vlaanderen en Wallonië (o.a.) qua bedrijfscultuur totaal
> verschillend zijn (ik heb in beide landsdelen gewerkt).

I know & have worked with people from several parts of Belgium (and
outside of Belgium), and I don't see that many differences?  Can you
please explain?

Also, considering that we barely have enough volunteers now, how do you
expect us to have enough volunteers if we split up in 4 or more
different groups?

To give one point-of-reference: Jean, who's been coordinating most of
the computer fair booths recently, is French-speaking natively, but
living in Flanders (and he speaks Dutch very well!).  Why would we want
him to limit his work to Flanders, and not Wallonia or Brussels?

> 3. Een totaal gebrek aan leiderschap dat inderdaad leidt tot
> maandenlange discussies over non-issues. Hoog tijd om een volwaardig
> bestuur aan te stellen.

Do you have any proof that that will make things better?   ;)

BTW: I don't oppose establishing a "council" or something like that (I
can see some advantages to it), just that I'm not convinced that that is
the magic solution for all the perceived problems.

> 4. Versnippering van informatie: een oud zeer waar nodig aan gewerkt
> moet worden.

What exactly do you mean by that?  Information is certainly lacking in
some areas, but what do you mean by "versnippering" here?

PS: I'm happy to see any responses, reactions, critiques, etc. to this
thread!

--
Jan Claeys