[Ubuntu-be] Ubuntu CD's

Serge van Ginderachter serge at vanginderachter.be
Tue May 27 17:45:38 BST 2008

Ivan,

----- "Ivan Flo" <Ivan at hetmosterdzaadje.be> wrote:

> I want to repley to the both way's of getting a Ubuntu-CD: Original or
> download.

> As I'm a teacher for adult people,and they have payed a lot of money
> for those courses, they are not very motivated to spend more money.

How much money do you mean? The cost of burning a cdrom?

> "there are free, YOU can download them,yes?"
> I can ask to download the CD. That would take some expensive time, and
> download.

"Sure, and you can download them yourselve. Or, if you want, I'll bring the .iso in class so you can copy it."

Sometimes, I just give CD's I burned myself. I actually also do that as a ubtunu distribution point.
Canonical already gave a lot of money to spread the word. It's a small thing I do myself to contribute. And I add a sticker with my business card to it.

> I can ask to Syntrawest to make copies.

Sure. They gladly do it.
Sounds like we are colleagues btw.

> On the other hand, an official cd is always an eyecatcher.

Yes, but they only last 6 months....

> I have the latest orginal version, that works.
> That's an catcher. (costumer-binder)

> Merchandising can be done, as I do it by visiting the site,
> documentation and so on.
> Always surch at the source, meaning Ubunt-nl.
> Sorry guys, the ubunt-be is not very documentated.

Please, help us!

> The motivation of most people is there money they spend on those
> courses (about 450euro)

For a full year. I call that cheap. We are talking about professional courses.

> My expirience with Linux (/ubunt) is simple:
> "Thats for nerds, geeks and there is no community."

Then I guess you have a bad experience. There is no one tag to apply to "Linux". Mileage vary.

> With some merchandising, I hope to change all that in my encouter with
> the students.

In my experience, preaching an objective word already does a lot. Don't be a Microsoft hater, but an Open Source enthusiast.

> You know, I was scared myself to start with Ubuntu.
> For the same reasons. Now I'm a Ubuntu teacher ...

Yup, been there also. It does take some effort. Teaching people they have to do some effort to reach a goal isn't a bad thing.

        Serge

 Serge van Ginderachter          http://www.vanginderachter.be/

 Kreeg u een "odt" bestand en kan u deze niet openen? Zie http://ginsys.be/odf