[Ubuntu-be] KBC-for-business and linux, pt2

Geert Van Damme geert at darling.be
Thu Aug 7 13:39:06 BST 2008

Tom Van Braeckel wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> A while ago, I asked everyone for some hints/comments/suggestions about the
>> fact that my KBC-online-for-business didn't have support for Linux. A lot of
>> reactions later, I visited my KBC-agent and explained her this is of pretty
>> large importance to me, since I don't have any M$ boxes at all in my company.
>> She said the only thing she could do was prolong my old password-key
>> protected account some more, and file a complaint to the KBC tech staff. So
>> she did.
>>
>> Now, this morning actually, I received a phone call from a technical KBC
>> employee, explaining to me that my complaint has been discussed, and he can
>> formally tell me there will be no support for any other OS than MS Windows.
>>
>> Wait, there's more. He did have a solution ready for me (since he privately
>> uses Linux too, whow); install VirtualBox/VMware/... and run Windows on your
>> Linux box, use IE, and access your KBC-account like that...
>>

> If you only need IE, you don't need a virtual machine, since you can run
> IE with Wine. IEs4Linux (http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux ) has an
> easy solution to install the necessary software.

That works in some cases, but not for the new KBC-business / Isabel problem.
It's not only the browser, but you also need a card reader. Ubuntu
recognizes the reader without any problem, but then you need to install
some extra software from KBC, and it's that one that fails.
I tried it a month ago. And IIRC, it's probably not even the software
that's not running on wine, it's the installations compatibility check
that intentionally blocked a clean install.

Geert Van Damme