[Ubuntu-be] KBC-for-business and linux, pt2

Tom Van Braeckel tomvanbraeckel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 12:42:34 BST 2008

> Hey guys,
>
> A while ago, I asked everyone for some hints/comments/suggestions about the
> fact that my KBC-online-for-business didn't have support for Linux. A lot of
> reactions later, I visited my KBC-agent and explained her this is of pretty
> large importance to me, since I don't have any M$ boxes at all in my company.
> She said the only thing she could do was prolong my old password-key
> protected account some more, and file a complaint to the KBC tech staff. So
> she did.
>
> Now, this morning actually, I received a phone call from a technical KBC
> employee, explaining to me that my complaint has been discussed, and he can
> formally tell me there will be no support for any other OS than MS Windows.
>
> Wait, there's more. He did have a solution ready for me (since he privately
> uses Linux too, whow); install VirtualBox/VMware/... and run Windows on your
> Linux box, use IE, and access your KBC-account like that...

If you only need IE, you don't need a virtual machine, since you can run
IE with Wine. IEs4Linux (http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux ) has an
easy solution to install the necessary software.

> Then, I told him
> this isn't really a structural solution, since I don't have any MS license,
> and I don't wanna pay 100+ euro, just to access my KBC-online account
> (actually, I lied, I do have a license on my laptop, but I don't want to use
> my laptop for checking my bank-statements, and the license is bound to that
> machine). I continued asking him why it's so difficult for a company like KBC
> to hire a couple of Linux-developers, and adapt/adopt their system, so it
> works on Linux/Mac/Solaris/... too, after all, it's a _business_ account, and
> I expect it to be more flexible than my personal one. He said: hey, it's not
> us, blame Isabel, they're the ones that don't support other OS's. Once again,
> I continued, asking him why other banks succeed where KBC seems to be
> failing? "Well, because they don't use Isabel, we're the only one that are
> providing this excellent service". I don't know about other banks, but to me,
> this seems like a bold statement to make.
>
> Another solution was to switch back to a regular account, and use their
> regular login-apparatus instead. Seems like a stupid solution to me too; once
> again, businesses want their banks to be more flexible.
>
> Anyway, now I know there's no luck in having Linux-support for my
> KBC-for-business. I think I'm going to look for another bank, at least for my
> business account, since this is unacceptable.
>
> Any suggestions?

I must say I haven't tried running IE in Linux though, since I don't
need it. I would change banks after rubbing this in their face a few
more times :-)