[Ubuntu-be] garmin&gps

wannes wannesss at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 09:15:29 BST 2007

<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/FAQ>

> * Most of cartography is well known mathematics.
> * The actual map data is copyrighted material, just like a book or a piece
> of software.

Sounds reasonable.

> * If a cartography company wants to ask €€€ for their map data, I don't
> see any problem with that? They made the investment: photograpghy,
> measurements, image processing software,...

Sounds reasonable. But the same goes for software company's. Why are
some company's charging for their software, and some are providing
their software free of charge under some non-restrictive license?

Openstreetmap is providing map-data free of charge, under a
CC-license. That way, anyone can use the data, and not only the
$$$-people.

> * If you want free maps, anyone can make (new) maps. You're just not
> allowed to copy existing maps.

That's exactly what openstreetmap is doing. Walking/driving/cycling
around with a GPS, using aerial photography, ...

I encourage anyone with a GPS-device to get an Openstreetmap account
and start mapping their area. Any mapping done, even if it's only a
little, would be great! :-)

--
wannes