[Ubuntu-be] garmin&gps

Amedee Van Gasse amedee at amedee.be
Tue Sep 11 08:03:33 BST 2007

On Mon, September 10, 2007 20:46, Peter Stuart wrote:
> is the issue here also concerning the
> open sourcing of cartography?
> are companies like tele-atlas
> open source or not?
> i might have a talk
> with those guys
> if it is not.

What is the issue with the cartography? I don't know enough on the subject.
* Most of cartography is well known mathematics.
* The actual map data is copyrighted material, just like a book or a piece
of software.
* If a cartography company wants to ask €€€ for their map data, I don't
see any problem with that? They made the investment: photograpghy,
measurements, image processing software,...
* If you want free maps, anyone can make (new) maps. You're just not
allowed to copy existing maps.

--
Amedee