[Ubuntu-be] GRP in Hasselt

Bart Broeckx bartek at ubuntu-nl.org
Mon Oct 22 09:34:09 BST 2007

Ubuntero's

the Gutsy release Party in Hasselt was 2 days ago now.
you can read the report and watch some pictures on the wiki:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BelgianTeam/ReleaseParty/Gutsy/Hasselt20-10-2007

It wa a hughe succes, thx to everybody.
Greetz,
Bart

 Report

10.30 The last preparations were done: internet connections tested, seats
for the presentation in the main hall set in place to welcome a maximum of
75 interested people, in the kitchen some members of the computer club were
preparing the snacks …

10.50 The first 2 persons arrive at the Party; more then 2 hours before the
official start of the party. They where immediately entertained when
Knightwise came in to have a video interview with me. Chretien, the
president of the Bitmappers, was also invited to join us in front of the
camera.

12.00 The first Ubuntero's arrive, they promised to come early. At the
entrance Fabian, the vice-president of the Bitmappers, gave everyone a
sticker with their name on. Ubuntero's got a sticker with the Ubuntu logo,
Computer club members one with the Bitmappers logo. This way everybody could
easily see the difference between a beginner and the more experienced
Ubuntero's. This was a big success.

12.30 The crowd now starts coming in by great numbers.

13.00 Almost all seats are occupied, so the President of the Bitmappers
asked me if I could already start my presentation "Introduction into Linux
and Ubuntu" … it was due to be held at 14.00 …

13.30 Despite it was my first presentation ever - and for a full house - I
managed to keep my nerves under control, make some little jokes …

14.00 Done … I even received a little applause. I went outside to have a
drink and a smoke. Fabian told me there were already 100 persons at the
party. Well above the maximum of 75 we predicted. The people were invited to
bring their laptop or PC so we could help them with the installation. 23
people did! Because we were well above our maximum capacity the 2 rooms with
internet connection were filled with people.

21 PC's and laptops were successfully installed. Only 2 went home without
Ubuntu. People were amazed at how easy the installation went, that all their
hardware was recognized immediately, that even their digital camera was
recognized out-of-the-box … People gathered before the laptops and PC's
which had Compiz and were impressed by the possibilities of Compiz-Fusion.

16.30 A presentation about the live-CD, what you can do with it and how it
can save your data

16.45 A presentation about Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon, how to install software,
look at the menu's, etc …

17.00 The last presentation was given about the possibilities of
Compiz-Fusion and what's new in Gutsy by Wesley Stessens. I would like to
thank him for this because he had only one day to prepare his presentation.

17.30 Now it's time to talk and have a drink, to exchange e-mails and to
promise we would all come to the next release party. The public was
enthusiastic and gave compliments to the Ubuntu-BE members who did a perfect
job helping everyone

19.00 The last participants left the room and went home or to the city for a
drink. I, from my side, I was dead tired … went home and fell in a deep
sleep, having nice dreams about what's coming next. Exiting times are
arriving for Ubuntu.

--
Bart Broeckx
Willekensmolenstraat 83/7