[Ubuntu-be] Linux op Dell pc's

Ismael Demiddel ismael.demiddel at telenet.be
Thu Mar 15 19:24:49 GMT 2007

Op do, 15-03-2007 te 19:49 +0100, schreef Wouter Horré:
> On Thursday 15 March 2007 18:31, guy duportail wrote:
> > why Dell?
> > www.ubuntushop.be
> > better:
> > www.multiseatcomputer.be
>
> The notebooks you sell still include the MS-tax... If Dell is selling
> computers with linux pre-installed, they will hopefully not charge the
> MS-tax.
>
> Also, Dell is now working with Novell and other companies to certify their
> hardware for linux, which should result in the availability of a 100% linux
> compatible notebook. Imho now the most compatible laptops are 90% (or if you
> are lucky 99%) linux compatible.
>
> Imho, it is a good point that Dell will be selling computers with linux
> pre-installed. It does not make them holy, but it's a step in the right
> direction.

Since Michael Dell (founder) saw that they were having a huge problem in
their finances they had to find other ways to sell computers. That's
also a reason why they use AMD as well. The losses the company is making
are becoming very high, because computers doesn't cost that much
nowadays.

The fact that they normally said 'Dell advises Windows...' was a reason
why they first tried to implement the AMD processors, but I wonder what
sentence they will use now. 'Dell advises Linux above Windows'? :-)

> regards
> Wouter
>
> --
> http://wouter.horre.be/