[Ubuntu-be] ComputerFair Hasselt 07/01/2007 (report)

Jan Fabry cheezy at lumumba.uhasselt.be
Sun Jan 7 23:03:10 GMT 2007

A small report on the fair today (Bart didn't have time to write it,
I'm new here, so I hope I cover the important bits, without boring you).

Date: Sunday, January 7, 2007, 10-17h
Event: Dipro beurs
Place: Grenslandhallen, Hasselt
Attending: Bart Broeckx, David & Frans Geens, Bram Bonné, Kevin
Elaerts, Jan Fabry

We had about 200 pressed CD's (a mixture of Dapper & Edgy; Ubuntu,
Kubuntu and Edubuntu; 32 and 64 bit versions). They were very
popular, but some people just scavenge the booths for free gadgets,
so we moved the stack out of sight, and encouraged people to ask for
them, so we could have a chat with them. This was very effective! I
guess about 100 CD's were given without much explanation (only an
extra ubuntu-be flyer in each booklet). After we changed the tactic,
about 150 more CD's were given only after we give some basic
information (sometimes a demo) af Ubuntu. When we ran out of pressed
CD's, we started burning them on-site, using some spare CD-R's from
Bart and me, and a stack that David got from a nice lady at another
booth.

Conclusion: handing out CD's like candy is not so smart. Indicating
that CD's are available at request is great to start a conversation
(if you have enough people available). The burned CD's are just as
popular as the pressed ones.

The beamer was a great way to attract people. We were the only booth
with a projection screen, so people could see what was going on (and
see that we were not selling anything like all the others). If you
only have screens on your table, only the first two rows can see
what's going on, the others just pass your booth.

Conclusion: try to have a beamer at every fair! But also: try to
borrow one from a friend, since renting them can be expensive (unless
we find a corporate sponsor?).

The flyers were also popular. Of course, one would need to look at
the site logs to see whether there was a surge of visitors coming
from Limburg :) We explained the concept of the support points, so
hopefully we can also see an effect there. Maybe (this is just an
idea of me), we need something at the site like "Hello, you saw us a
the fair and tried your CD? Click here for extra documentation at
what to do now!", but this might be covered in other places
(otherwise I'll try to make myself more clear in another post to this
list).

Ubuntu, or at least Linux, is a relatively well-known concept. Some
people were completely amazed ("It's free? For only 30 days or
something like that? No? Forever?!"), others had already experimented
with Linux, with varying degrees of success. To them, the concept of
the support points was a nice idea.

We had a plastic box for donations, and collected about 24 euros with
it. Bart has the correct number, and the money itself, which he will
forward to Ubuntu-be. He payed for the booth, and I guess he also
sponsored our food (koffiekoeken and appelflappen (a "Danish",
according to Marc on IRC), as we eat in Limburg), so many many thanks
to you Bart! David & Frans payed for the beamer (and came quite a
long way just to be here), which is also incredible. Kevin came from
Leuven, also not too close. Bram and me discovered we study at the
same university, and, being informatics students, had nothing better
to do on a Sunday. Our girlfriends might disagree, but they can start
a group of their own (ubuntu-be-lonely-partners?).

It was my first Ubuntu-be activity, and it had a great time. It was
fun meeting other people working with Ubuntu, and encouraging new
people to try it. I'll certainly do it again another time!

Bye,

Jan