[Ubuntu-be] Flemish ministry of education distributes Ubuntu

Toni Van Remortel ToniVR at telenet.be
Sat Nov 18 18:05:40 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 20:34 +0100, Philippe De Ryck wrote:

> Are there any other people on the list working in education? Maybe we
> can team up to provide useful information or something?

I am a sysadmin @ Hogeschool Antwerpen. I tend to provide an open
alternative for every requested software package, and I provide some
usefull (free) tools too.
Second, I send a (personal) request each year to the teaching staff,
asking then to review some open alternatives for their requested
software. This already showed off some results:
- 3D animation: from 3D Max to Blender
- Project planning: from MS Project to Open Workbench
- PDF became the standard for all documents [at least better than MS
Office documents].
Linux is used on 40% of my servers, but as Windows starts acting weird
last weeks, that number will increase.

And as far as I know, is there only 1 student (and female) that uses
Ubuntu each day. She will write her thesis in LaTeX (by using Kile).

What info do you want to 'provide'? Open source on Windows is already
collected in lists about 100 times.
--
Toni Van Remortel <ToniVR at telenet.be>