[Ubuntu-be] Ubuntu poster - new version with the circle of friends

Jan Claeys ubuntu at janc.be
Sat Jun 3 13:55:41 BST 2006

Op za, 03-06-2006 te 14:30 +0200, schreef Christophe Vandeplas:
> Patrick Coeman wrote:
> > I hate nationalism (Flemish, Belgian, European, etc...) so I need local
> > versions for software because the easy that we have with local settings.
> > But please not a 'Flemish yellow/black or Belgian black/yellow/red'
> > flyer please. I think that's against the philosophy of Ubuntu: 'all
> > colours, all equal'... Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> There you may have a point.
> The original idea to add the belgian-colors in the logo was to link it
> with ubuntu-be. A person looking at the poster should see that they can
> get support and help in Belgium and more specifically in his province/city.
>
> Making a neutral-poster without any nationalism-colors (Belgian,
> European, Planetarian,...) does indeed fit into the ubuntu-spirit. But
> *how* link the 'we are close to you-and-ready-to-help' thing?

I get the impression that some people think that nationality &
nationalism are the same thing.  They are not, even if (extremist)
nationalists often abuse symbols of a nationality.  If you buy into
this, and start to avoid those symbols because of this, you're in fact
helping those nationalists.  Please never do that.  Otherwise we would
also have to drop the Ubuntu logo etc. one day...

So, I don't say that an ubuntu-be logo has to be black/yellow/red, but
please don't throw away a well-known symbol for "Belgium" just because
you dislike some small number of Belgian people.

BTW: other Belgian symbols might be the Atomium, Belgian fries,
beer, ...

--
Jan Claeys