[Ubuntu-BD] An failed attempt to install nvidia driver and a messed up box

Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor zombiegenerator at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 08:37:56 BST 2010

Hello,

Yesterday I tried to Install nVidia graphics driver (For 8500 GT
graphics card) on a friend's pc running linux mint 9 (Ubuntu lucid
commands work there). I tried 2 different ways.......

First time I tried to install the driver provided by nVidia. So I
downloaded the file then stopped gdm then issued "sudo sh filename.run"
but there was an error like kernel module not found or something (the
kernel is what comes by default with lucid)...........

So I opted another way. I purged all nVidia package with "sudo apt-get
--purge remove nvidia-*" then "gksudo
gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf" and blacklisted
"vga16fb,nouveau,rivafb,nvidiafb,rivatv" followed by "sudo apt-get
install nvidia-glx-96" (I think this messed things up. Cause I thought
96 as 196 ). Then re started the X server..............

The result? Disaster. Now it's showing an option to start with low
graphics option without any effect......... And driver didn't get
installed that's need not to say.....

Now is there any way to fix the issue or it needs to be re-installed? Is
there any easy way to install nVidia driver. As my friend is not that
much used to in Linux, an easy solution would be perfect for him........
--
Regards-
Junayeed Ahnaf Nirjhor