[Ubuntu-BD] Potential Analysis: Custom Offline Repo

Ovro Niil ovroniil at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 10:35:04 BST 2010

░ My ideas about offline repository ░

⟹ For home users (actually for the most users) the repository should be
stripped down into an one dvd with the most demanded software (restricted
extras, gimp, inkscape, vlc, avro, blueman etc). Because for the general
purpose, out of 30,000 packages of Ubuntu repository only a few are used. We
can make a list of most useful and demanded software by discussion.
⟹ We also can add the unofficial repos (medibuntu, google repo, ubuntu-tweak
etc).
⟹ For corporate/professional usage, custom dvds with selected/chosen
repositories can be provided. But for those chosen repos, the company/person
should order the dvd beforehand. It means anyone can have a customizable
dvd, if they require.

░ My ideas not about an actual offline repository ░

⟹ We can produce a custom dvd with the most demanded softwares. That dvd
will have its own UI designed with Galde (or anything suitable) and bash
script for installing software.
⟹ So the user can easily choose and install the software he needs using that
UI.
⟹ This idea is only for the general users.

░ Notes to be taken ░

⟹ For the above cases, I am thinking of generating some revenues for
UbuntuBD and MintBD. These two organization really needs their own fund to
run well.
⟹ The repositories for the general users should be priced less than the
ordered-custom repositories.
⟹ At least one shop is required (in this case UbuntuBD's office can be
utilized), from where people can buy the dvds as well as place their orders
too.
⟹ The required updates can be supplied on monthly basis by DVDs.
⟹ Also a monthly subscription system can be arranged. So that users who are
outside of dhaka and/or have inadequate or no internet connection, they can
be subscribed for a monthly fee to UbuntuBD/MintBD for receiving the update
in a form of DVD via the postal mail. In this way, people in the remote
area, without any internet connection, can keep their PCs up-to-date.

--
.:: অভ্রনীল ::: Ovroniil ::.

❆ আমার সাইট ➠ http://ovroniil.wordpress.com/
❆ সহজ উবুন্টু শিক্ষা ➠ http://ovroniil.wordpress.com/ubuntux/sus/